[PD] (wip) Preferences file.

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 02:54:40 CET 2017

I'd like to focus on a central point of this discussion.

Seems like Lucas is just hoping to add a new fonts metric settings to Pd.
Ok, doing that may raise many complicated issues, like changing a lot of
stuff so you can set it one way or the other... And he can go ahead and
make a plug in for that... but maybe we could also just talk about if we
can change the font metrics for good, hard code it to that, so it aligns to
the way Pd Extended and Purr Data work.

Changing the metrics from Vanilla to extended's/purr data's doesn't
compromise the patch as the other way around dows, I already pointed this
out.

It'll look different, sure, but it's not like vanilla's look is so sacred,
I mean, we still don't have the same fonts for every platform... we already
have issues within the distribution itself, where a patch from Mac OS
overlaps in linux/windows... all sorts of things, I don't see this as a
sacred cow going to the slaughter!

On the other hand, opening extended patches in the vanilla metrics does
compromise the visual experience a lot, creating all sorts of overlaps.

if sticking to one is the way to go, for sake of simplicity and maintaining
that code (a good point), makes a lot sense that vanilla sticks to the
metrics and looks of extended and purr data...

I only see advantages, cause the way it is right now, just drives these
forks apart...

And I, for one, am not willing to work on different documentation and
patches for vanilla and purr data, cause it'd be too crazy... I'll stick to
one, and I choose the old extended and new purr data way, as they're
convenient to me.

cheers