[PD] soundfiler features

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 21 12:01:17 CET 2017

Apologies if this is a distraction.
The soundfiler object is clearly fundamental to digital music.
I think it needs a makeover. I'm willing to help, but it's been getting particularly difficult and I think, unnecessarily complicated to create patches that automatically load a folder of sound files which may be mono or stereo (or even quad?).Since this information is contained within the header of each file (although it's a pain with the different formats), would it not be sensible to have a second outlet in soundfiler that delivers the number of channels, before the number of samples in the file is delivered from the left outlet? Perhaps also other info, but what would be relevant to a patch? I think channels is a necessary piece of information.

I prod you for a feature, and I probably have as many of these cattle prod moments hitting me from behind as I work on my patches.
Cheers,Bisous,Ed