[PD] netsend/netreceive questions ...

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Wed Feb 22 15:16:57 CET 2017

> maybe it's better to use [OSC] for the latter and [netsend] for single
> floats (f.e. to send a time-synch message) ?

OSC is just a way to format your data and is independend from the actual protocol you use for transmitting the data. Most of the time you'll find OSC over UDP (e.g. [packOSC] -> [netsend -u -b] etc.) but it can also be TCP ([packOSC] -> [netsend -b]) or SLIP for sending over a serial connection ([packOSC] -> [mrpeach/slipenc] -> [comport]). I've once worked with an Ion lighting console which expected SLIP encoded OSC over TCP (wtf!).

OSC itself just provides some convenience, it can be more efficient or not, depending on the message type. If you're just sending a single number, then FUDI* might make more sense. The difference might be neglectible, though.

As you probably know, UDP is faster but error-prone, e.g. packages might get lost or be received in the wrong order.
TCP has a handshake mechanism which makes it slower but very reliable.

The rationale is this: If a message *must* arrive (like going to the next scene in a show) and your network connection is unstable or quite busy, use TCP. Otherwise go for UDP.

Now some personal and second-hand experiences:

I never had a problems when sending UDP via localhost. However, I met a guy who got UDP package loss even on his localhost. Personally I never experienced this but it might happen if you send too much data.

I did experience package loss when sending UDP packages via network, more often with Wifi but also with Ethernet, but either the network was busy or the amount of data was quite large. When I switched to TCP everything was fine.

For sending big lists of filenames I'd definitely go for TCP. Regarding the video syncing, it depends. If packet loss is theoretically acceptable - although it's certainly not desired -, go for UDP, otherwise TCP.

Unfortunately, not all programs can handle OSC over TCP...

Regarding your question if you should use internals or externals: IIRC the iemnet objects are threaded (also true for the mrpeach net objects?) whereas the internal objects are not and may therefore block Pd on heavy traffic. IOhannes or others may please correct me!

Christof

*simple protocol used by Pd in [netsend]/[netreceive] (without the -b flag!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUDI