[PD] netsend/netreceive questions ...

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:19:38 CET 2017

On Mit, 2017-02-22 at 15:41 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> mrpeach/net should block less than the built-in object, but in theory
> it
> might still block when spinning up to many threads.
> also mrpeach/net is prone to race-conditions, where one sending
> thread
> can overtake another sending thread (so the order of data arrival is
> not
> guaranteed). obviously mrpeach/net doesn't always exihibit that
> problem
> (else nobody would use it), but iirc i was able to trigger that
> behaviour in a lab situtation.

netpd - as an example of a non-lab situation - does trigger such
problems with mpreach/net. Last time I checked, it presented incoming
data as lists which suggests that it uses some auto-magic internal
delimiting function, but it does not, it relies on pure chance. It's a
misconception that the author refuses to address.

As far as I can tell, mrpeach/net suffers issues that iemnet does not.
I don't see any advantage in using mrpeach/net besides the fact that
Pd-l2ork / Purr Data - due to their Pd-extended heritage - come with
mrpeach and not with iemnet.

Roman