[PD] pduino/firmata trouble? (Rick Snow)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:16:30 CET 2017

On Don, 2017-02-23 at 15:32 +0100, Björn Eriksson wrote:

> The Pduino version you did Roman, with less dependencies, was that
> released the ordinary ways

No.

>  - and might it even be searchable through Deken?  If so... what to
> look for?

No. I haven't touched it for quite a while. Back then, when we (Olsen
and me) did it, we had two goals in mind:

 * make it easier to maintain and to distribute by removing
   avoidable dependencies. The original [pduino] used some dependencies
   in a way that made it really hard to use outside of Pd-extended, for
   instance by using [zexy/makesymbol], which doesn't work with vanilla
   zexy that ships as multi-object external library.

 * create a GUI version that keeps of track of the state of each pin
   and facilitates experimenting.

We hoped Hans would incorporate our changes, but he refused to. I don't
know if someone took over maintenance of the original [pduino]. If it
turns out to be orphaned, I'll be happy to make a proper release and
take over maintenance. However, I'll continue working on our fork, not
on the original pduino. I hope this is the correct process.

It still has two dependencies, [comport] and pdstring from moocow. The
latter can probably be avoided, nowadays. I wonder now what the proper
way to deal with dependencies is in Deken. Is there some agreed upon
declaration of dependencies for Deken packages?

Roman