[PD] soundfiler alternative?

José Rafael Subía Valdez jsubiavaldez at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:16:06 CET 2017

Hello List,

I recently encountered a problem while developing a patch. I get audio
drops when I load a sample to a table. Now, I know this is an issue as
explained here:

https://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/TipsAndTricks#how-to-avoid-audio-drop-outs

there are some situations, where audio drop outs can occur. if you know why
a certain kind of drop-happens, you probably will find a way to overcome
the problem.

   - fileIO: all objects, that read files from disk, will block audio,
   until they finished executing. so do load all files beforehand. when you
   need to load soundfiles during performance into tables, don't use
   [soundfiler]. miller once suggested using [readsf~] in a subpatch with
   upsampling, so it will load the sample faster than reading it in realtime,
   but not block dsp during loadtime. it seems, that some people do load only
   the very first part of each file, that will be used during a performance
   into a table, and do read the rest from disk.

The problem that I have, is that I need to use soundfiler as I am
stretching the sound with fft and it needs to read it within a table. Is
there a soundfiler alternative or a way to load a file into a table
differently?

any help will be appreciated.

thank you

--