[PD] soundfiler alternative?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Mon Feb 27 22:45:47 CET 2017

> well, [table] stores the samples as floating point (taking 4 bytes per
> sample; and 8 byte on 64bit systems),

It depends on your Pd (32-bit or 64-bit), not on the system.

> however, there is a simple solution at hand: get youself plenty of RAM
> and pre-load everything into tables.
> 32GB cost about 250,-€ and will allow you to load approx. 24h of raw
> audio, which is probably enough.

Unfortunately, this is only true for 64-bit processes. A single 32-bit process can't handle more than 2^32 bytes (~4 GB). In reality, it's even less, usually 2 GB, which is a bit more than 1,5 hours of stereo audio @44100 Hz. Pd will give you a warning when you try to exceed this limit ("pd: resizebytes() failed - out of memory").

Christof