[PD] soundfiler alternative?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 27 23:13:07 CET 2017

On 02/27/2017 11:04 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

>> well, [table] stores the samples as floating point (taking 4 bytes
>> per
>> sample; and 8 byte on 64bit systems)
>
> Why is that? And why does it only apply to arrays and not to all other
> number types in Pd? I rather curious than sceptical.

Pd's tables use a unified design, that can store all kind of things,
including numbers and data structures.
since data-structures are stored by reference, a data element in the
table must be able to hold a (void*) pointer, which - on 64bit systems -
takes 8 bytes.
the actual numbers stored in these fields are still only single
precision numbers.

> Seems like there
> are still some advantages in use Pd on 32-bit architectures.

which?

> Unfortunately, dealing with largish tables has its complications two
> which I thought is exactly because everything is stored as 32bit float,
> even on 64bit systems.

well, this depends on what you actually do with the tables.
afaiu, the OP was happy with the using tables, only the data-loading was
causing dropouts.
so the problems with data precision do not apply here.

fgmdasr
IOhannes