[PD] soundfiler alternative?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 28 09:59:11 CET 2017

On 2017-02-27 23:46, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> Just because we are at it.

it's totally unrelated.

> On w32 I can have long tables but I cant get values beyond 16777216 using [tabread].
>
> Also a simple counter stops there, printing with [makefilename %d]:

in general i wouldn't use [makefilename] for such things (you are really
not interested in the string representation of values, but instead of
the values in their numeric representation).

e.g.

[1677726(

[t f f]
|     |
[+ 1] |
|     |
[-    ]

[print]

> print: symbol 16777213
> print: symbol 16777214
> print: symbol 16777215
> print: symbol 16777216
> print: symbol 16777216
> print: symbol 16777216
> print: symbol 16777216
> print: symbol 16777216
>

> Is this also happening on 64bit Pd/OS?

this is happening on all single precision builds of Pd.
you need double precision to work around the problem.

while single precision indeed takes 32bit per number, and double
precision takes 64bit, when we talk about a "64bit Pd/OS" we really mean
something unrelated (the size of the pointers).

there has been extensive talk about this, including katjas
double-precision Pd in 2007 and my recent attempts on getting
double-precision Pd to fly, as presented on the PdCon16.

gamsdr
IOhannes