[PD] soundfiler alternative?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:05:56 CET 2017

On Die, 2017-02-28 at 12:37 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> l.com>:
> >
> > If anyone has another idea
> >
> I still think an external is a good/better idea, but looks like it's
> just me...

Why do you think that? I, too, believe an external that offloads the
'dangerous' (potentially causing drop-outs) operations to a separate
thread would be a desirable solution.

People are just thinking about workarounds since we don't seem to have
such an external yet (or do we?).

I absolutely don't buy that determinism narrative that grew strong on
this list. If you asked me and if I had the power and capability to
design such stuff, I'd break determinism for a lot of things, like
dealing with filesystem, networking (fortunately solved), and even DSP
graph redrawing (I may be just talking here without a clue what
architectural impact this would have). I see no value in upholding
determinism in a real time language like Pd. I see no point in
emulating an ideal world, when the delta between ideal and real world
is experienced so harshly. Emulating an ideal world may make sense for
offline rendering, but I doubt that is the main use case of Pd.

;tldr: I'm with you, Alex.

Roman