[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 1 21:17:20 CET 2017

On 03/01/2017 05:03 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> So... how about "application specific" folder (the "extra" folder)? I think
> that's important to include. It's what I prefer anyway... I had included it
> but you removed, can I put back? If not, how come?

it was not included on the page i edited.
i didn't remove it.

> for windows, you have
>
>    - %AppData%\Pd will be something like C:\Documents and
>    Settings\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Pd
>

> But seems wrong, I have here ob my machine:
> *C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Pd*

that's why the "something like" comes into play.
the actual storage place *can change* between windows-versions, but
%AppData% is where it ought to be.
the percent-signs indicate that this is an environment variable.
(W32 uses variables supposedly *because* the actual storage place changes)

> Now, a question... about
>
> User-specific~/.local/lib/pd/extra (since Pd-0.47-1, *preferred*)User-specific
> (deprecated)~/pd-externals (older Pd-versions; still usable)
>
> why is this new form preferred?

you know, i keep repeating myself: because it has been discussed and
agreed on on this very list.
it's great that you are questioning a lot of things in Pd, but in
generally it would help if you would also read the email of others that
are not of current concern to yourself. because they may hold the
answers to questions you haven't yet asked.

to answer you question more specifically: because ~/.local/lib/ is the
standard (as defined by freedesktop specs) place on linux systems to put
application specific data.
very much like ~/Library/ is the standard (as defined by apple inc)
place for those kind of things on OSX.
and very much like %AppData% is the standard (as defined by microsoft
corp) place for those kind of things on W32.

gadsr
IOhannes