[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Mar 2 14:47:55 CET 2017

On 2017-03-02 11:42, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Proposal:
>
> First time Deken is used, it asks to install to the user specific
> folder regardless whether it exists. If the user confirms, it
> automatically creates it and download/extracts the installed external
> there. If the user says "no" the first time, Deken remembers this
> decision and doesn't prompt for the user specific folder anymore from
> then on as long as it does not exist. We would then have the same
> behavior as we do have now.
>
> pros:
>   * People do not have to know about Pd peculiarities before they can
>     successfully install and use external.
>   * Nobody is forced to use the user specific folder if they don't want
>     to.
>
> cons:
>   * People that do not want to use the user specific folder have to
>     click 'no' once. Is that too demanding?
>   * Deken needs some way to remember the decision. I don't know if
>     Deken has already a notion of remembering user decisions. I hope it
>     does.
>
> End goal:
>
> The required knowledge to use externals successfully boils down to:
>  * selecting an external in Deken
>  * [declare] it within the patch
>
> What do you think?

rather than remembering the decision whether the user does (not) want
the proposed directory, i'd rather have deken remember the last used
install path.
from the user side this seems to be more what we really want (if the
user chose to not install into the default location, they must provide
an alternative anyhow; chances are that they want to use it again; if
not they have to (and can) select a different location.

from the implementation side it doesn't really matter whether we need to
store a single flag or a full path.

https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues/140

fgmasdr
IOhannes