[PD] howto load and install externals tutorial

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:29:05 CET 2017

> Do you plan to convert the final draft into a wikipage?

sounds good

> The global and application specific paths are dependent on how Pd and
> externals were installed.

Application-specific, of course... but global? are you sure?

> On 2017-03-02 14:04, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > Global:
> > */usr/lib/pd-externals*       (searched by Pd from package manager)
> > */usr/local/lib/pd-externals*   (searched by used-installed Pd)
>
> this is wrong.
>
> all Pd's search in* /usr/local/lib/pd-externals* regardless of how they
> were installed.
> the point of this directory is exactly to bridge between a package
> managed Pd and locally (aka user-) installed globally visibile externals.

ok, now I'm really confused... is this a real path? =>
*/usr/lib/pd-externals*   is it "another global" path? It doesn't seem to
be...

> all self-compiled stuff goes to /usr/local

sure, I got that right, didn't I?

> Application-specific:
> /usr/lib/puredata/extra   if installed via a package manager (apt-get)

well, I got /usr/lib/*pd*/extra instead over here...

How to load different library formats

yeah, I should put more examples!

anyway, I'd really to get all this information right and well documented,
please help :)

thanks