[PD] Different versions of iemguts library in Deken

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Mar 2 20:14:22 CET 2017

On 03/02/2017 06:37 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

>> I thought those are meant to be transitional
>> packages that don't receive any further maintenance.
>

> What do you mean? Some packages are being updated and have newer versions,
> some are abandoned and only have this version from the last *pd-extended*
> up there... but they're not all meant to be either in one group or another,
> and basically anyone can work on an abandoned library and update/upload a
> new version...

i don't see how this workflow is hindered by the current state of affairs.

> Well, if they differ in version, it's good to know which version it is, if
> it's a newer version, an older version, the same version... I think it's
> really confusing if you do not know the version at all... you just can't
> compare! And you have to understand that most people looking at it cannot
> really grasp the idea that the package is "from the last extended package"
> - you can see the question from David as an example...

the idea is very simple:
any package that gets uploaded, should have a version that is higher
that "0.0extended".
if they have a higher version number, then deken will sort them *before*.
the idea of deken is really: the very first link should be the version
you are looking for. all other links are either outdated versions or for
different architectures.

any library that is maintained (as in: there is enough interest in it
that someone wants to do a fresh upload) *should* have a version number
attached to it. (even if it is just a date-based version).
practically all libraries *will* have a version that is higher than
0.0extended.

> Anyway, seems that deken can take any kind of information and display it. I
> get it that it's nice to have a clue that it's from extended, so, instead
> of "v0.0.extended" why not give it a proper version and also explicitly say
> it's from pd extended? Example suggestion;
>
> instead of "*cyclone-v0-0extended*",
> it could be "*cyclone-v0.1alpha56-pd-extended*"
>
> would that be worse somehow?

what's the point of adding "pd-extended" when you have a proper version
anyhow?

but i think what roman tried to say is, that your energy could be spent
much better by uploading updated libraries into deken (with their
correct versions set), than beating a dead horse.
and if there are no updated versions, then there are no version numbers
to compare anyhow.

fg,mrda
IOhannes