[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:08:24 CET 2017

On Don, 2017-03-02 at 17:51 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> > > since the suer/global folders aren't created (anymore),
> >
> > From what I remember, they have never been auto-created.
> the user folder is created by extended

Sorry, you're right. Pd-vanilla never did create any folders, though.

> > I opened ticked [1] for Deken, so that Deken prompts you whether
> > you want to install to the user specific folder and creates it on
> > confirmation.
> > IOhannes  already went ahead and implemented it. :-)
> wow, that's awesome, I had missed it, thanks a lot indeed <3

Let's thank IOhannes that he was still willing to cooperate after all
this nagging... ;-)

Yes, I, too, am delighted.

> > > But the thing is that it prompts you for downloading to this
> > folder
> > > which is not writeable anyway... even though it will fail.
>
> > So I wonder and ask if it really skips an option if the folder is
> not
>
> > writeable.
> You mean in linux, right?

I'm confused. You wrote above sentence. Don't know what you meant.

> Yeah, that's what was happening in windows, it was asking to download
> to the application, and failing it. When I brought it up, the
> reasoning was that this is the operating system's fault, not Pd's.

Don't know what happened there. Deken should not ask you to download
there, if it can't write there. If it still does, it might be a bug.

If you think you found a bug, please be very specific about what you
did and what defaults you changed in your system.

> And while it may not be possible for linux,

If I give myself privileges to write to /usr/lib/pd/extra and there is
no ~/.local/lib/pd/extra, I believe Deken would ask me to install
there, also on Linux.

>  it works just fine in Mac Os and Windows... so, well, deal with your
> operating system I guess?
>
> In windows, all I had to do was to edit the folder's permissions to
> make it writeable,

IOhannes already pointed out that you're not supposed to do that. Users
don't write there for security reasons. That's why they have their user
specific folder. Anyway, at least don't teach that to anybody, even if
you believe it works well for you.

Roman