[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:26:22 CET 2017

> I'm confused. You wrote above sentence. Don't know what you meant.

haha, I'm even arguing to myself then! It's that on the deken issue you
were complaining about not being able to write to the user folder... I was
trying to say that was a linux issue only.

> Deken should not ask you to download there, if it can't write there. If it
> still does, it might be a bug.

it's just a last ditch effort, it's gotta ask you to download somewhere...

> That's why they have their user specific folder.

Well, they don't for Pd... at least for now...

> Anyway, at least don't teach that to anybody, even if you believe it works
> well for you.

It has a particularity... it makes a difference wether you install in the
global, user or application. In the case of an application, it'll only be
valid for that Pd app, so you can have multiple Pds or Pd-Extended along
side it. So, well, yeah, I think we should tell people that they can do it
if they want to...

you're not supposed to do that. Users don't write there for security
> reasons.

ok, maybe warn people... but it doesn't seem too dangerous anyway, more of
an annoyance. I mean, I never knew other operating systems had issues with
it, I could always do it in Mac OS and always have...

cheers