[PD] comport - right outlet outputs only '-1'

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:55:08 CET 2017

Hey all

I was about to create a Deken package of comport, but realized, there
are some behaviors I don't understand.

I do have some patches that indicate the right outlet of comport did
once output some sensible messages, like 'open 1' when the connection
is established and 'open 0' when the connection is closed. The help-
file lists a whole bunch of messages that would reflect inner state
changes of the external. I am currently not able to trigger any of
those documented messages.

May some of you can shed some light on this, I would really appreciate
it:

 * I only get '-1' from right outlet whenever I close a connection or
   open a different port. It's not documented. What does it mean?

 * Even when I compile a version from 2006, I can't get the old
   behavior back and I still don't get any other message than '-1'
   on the right outlet. Why is that?

 * What is 'verbose $1' about? What are valid verbose levels? I was
   able to make [comport] print some info with increased verbosity
   levels.

 * Wouldn't it be good if there'd be some 'report' message that would
   trigger a dump of the current inner state, like 'xonxoff 0, stopbit
   2, parity 0' etc.

BTW: I'm using those sources:
https://git.iem.at/pd/comport.git
(make sure to add --recursive when cloning)

Thanks,
Roman