[PD] New deken feature, create system user folder (was how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 17:00:33 CET 2017

thought we'd finally change the thread name... for those who are getting
there now, this is the discussion about a new deken feature, that would
suggest to download to the system user folder and then create it if it's
not there. I was testing the new version and it didn't work.

> But why did it not create the folder /Users/alex/Library/Pd (...)?

It actually didn't suggest to write to ~/Library/Pd, which needed to happen
first, the creation of the folder would be the next step.

> you have admin rights on your Mac and you can write into XX.app folders
> (...) Deken looks through search paths and finds one that is writable, thus
> it does not suggest to install to /Users/alex/Library/Pd.

Can we close this thread with 'works as designed'?

I thought the design was to suggest to write into the ~/Library/Pd folder,
and then create it. This is not what's happening! It only suggests it if it
didn't find any folder it can use. In the end, there is no difference for
me.

So, for it to suggest to download to ~/Library/Pd, I have to first create
that folder myself, and the whole discussion here seemed to be the need to
create that folder automatically, to make things easier for the user.

cheers