[PD] New deken feature, create system user folder (was how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 20:49:20 CET 2017

So, I'm making a list of things that would improve the experience.

- Decide on possible better standard user/global folders for Mac (maybe
windows too?) like it was done for linux.

- Have the Pd install create those folders for you.

- Deken can then suggest the user folder in the first time ever that it
runs (which is not doing even with the new feature). User can change it and
it'll remember the choice between restarts (this feature has been
implemented already).

First things first, but there'd be more to think about.

- Documentation:
Installing in the application specific folder is tricky, and not much can
be done as it's something to do with the system allowing write privileges.
The option is to make a better documentation about it. I could do that, and
I've already started an extensive "howto manage externals" tutorial.

- Adding a Path to Pd's preferences:
This has also been discussed, but with better standard folders, some issues
with adding the path to Pd's preferences is automatically solved, as you
could now easily navigate there. But dealing with the application specific
folder is still a pain in Mac Os - I just had to guide someone on the
facebook group to manage that.

> Maybe a good example would be the Processing preferences dialog:
> http://robotosha.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/prefe
> rences_window_processing.png

I have to say I never got the main idea of this example, but it should be
easy to have an option to automatically navigate to the application's extra
folder somehow.

Will all this, I think installing externals from deken or not would be an
actual painless experience.

cheers