[PD] New deken feature, create system user folder (was how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 22:39:13 CET 2017

> I saw no discussion or resistance to the idea of that folder being created
> for the user. In fact I saw Roman asking something this:
>

> I believe yet all have agreed to ~/.local/lib/pd/extra as the default
> install path (and most recent Deken uses it).
>
> There was some concerns about creating directories without asking. Now,
> do those concerns still apply with above default install path? It seems
> pretty normal that applications do stuff there. Is anyone still against
> auto-creating?
>
> Roman

I missed another important message in response to this from IOhannes

it seems indeed that the main obstacle for automatic directory creation
has gone with this new default user-specific search path.
if there is some consensus, i will happily re-enable the directory creation.
(but it seems that everybody has gone into sleep mode again, and will
only awake after the next release)

gfmadsr
IOhannes

So, the enabling of directory creation seems to be something desirable
after all.

Maybe it's time for "waking up" to the discussion again...

cheers