[PD] Laptop + interface suggestion

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 11:34:29 CET 2017

João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com> writes:

> I would be looking for a similar setup:
> - a robust laptop where to run w10. The less weight the better, even
> if it sacrifices some performance.

I'm a Linux user, but I've been using a Dell XPS 15 9550. The form
factor is nice, it's relatively thin and light. I'd say my biggest
complaint about it is that it's not the quietest laptop, particularly in
terms of coil whine. Mine isn't so bad, but in a quiet room I can hear
electronic whinings and chattering which are normally sounds I like but
only when I make them haha. I'm okay with my laptop, but I'd definitely
consider other brands in the future, those Lenovo Thinkpads look
appealing, although a bit pricier. My model has an NVidia card but I
think you can get them with just the integrated graphics as well,
particularly the 13 inch 9350 (now 9360) models. I think the Thinkpad X
series is comparable in form factor to mine? And I was looking at the T
series as well when I bought this about a year and a half ago by now.

> - which audio interfaces are used nowadays, compared with the
> multiface? E.g. with at least 8 analog outlets (I don't need that many
> inlets), and also a digital outlet. Also the less weight and size the
> better - a half-case size such as the multiface is quite convenient.
> - the computer will be used for day-to-day activities: office,
> notation (sibelius/finale), and Pd audio programming. No games or too
> taxing environments, so some features such as a high-power graphics
> card or the latest ssd disk should be necessary.

I have an RME Fireface UCX. Half-rack size like you want. It does KINDA
have 8 analog outs, 7/8 are combined as a stereo out. 8 ins, 2 of which
are XLR combo jacks. It's been really solid for me. No TotalMix on Linux
and there are issues with all of that but you're on Windows so that
should be of no worry to you =). Sturdy as heck and reliable. I think it
has firewire but nowadays computers don't seem to come with those and
I've just been using the USB (2.0 I think) and even then you can get
pretty low latencies (and it's class compliant too!). I think there's a
new model of the Motu Ultralite these days that is also worth considering
(I vaguely remember Alex Porres posting something about it on Fb awhile
ago so he might want to chime in haha).

Derek

--
Derek Kwan