[PD] Laptop + interface suggestion

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:45:20 CET 2017

If I were in your situation, I’d stick with a Thinkpad. They are expensive, but IMHO worth the price as they are rugged, reliable, and repairable. In general, Linux distress run well on their hardware. Another good option is a Panasonic Toughbook which are admittedly bulkier and expensive but you can get one with a built-in handle so you look like you work for the CIA/NSA and use it as a blunt-force protection device (I’m sure Katja knows).

Examples of both can be found used with decent prices (US vendor, but gives you an idea of institutional refurbished market):

* Newegg refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad <https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=lenovo%20thinkpad&Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=50010418%204016>
* Newegg refurbished Panasonic Toughbook <https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=panasonic+toughbook&N=4016&isNodeId=1>

As for audio interfaces, I agree with those that say stick with a USB-compliant device. I am still using aRoland UA-25 which is from mid-2000s and is USB 1.0 compliant. It works full stereo duplex with everything, included iOS, without drivers etc. In fact, I bought a UA-25ex used for $100 as a backup a coulee years ago.

Fancy stuff like MOTUs are really *nice* but far too reliant on proprietary drivers. I believe USB 2.0 should have enough bandwidth for 8 channel output. Unlike Firewire, we can be pretty sure USB will be supported for the foreseeable future, albeit through probably 10 different dongles/adapters. Plus, you’ll know if you want to work with other Ohs in the future, the device will probably keep working.

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 2:24 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com <mailto:jmmmpais at gmail.com>>
> Subject: [PD] Laptop + interface suggestion
> Date: March 23, 2017 at 1:51:36 AM MDT
> To: pd-list at mail.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at mail.iem.at>
>

> Dear list,
>
> I'm looking to buy new laptop and a matching audio interface for daily use + audio performance/programming (not video). I would be interested to know what are the current trends nowadays, and what experiences you have.
>
> My current setup is:
> - windows 10 (won't change)
> - Lenovo X61s (I'm a bit of a fanboy for ibm/lenovo)
> - RME multiface (still with pcmcia card)
>
> I would be looking for a similar setup:
> - a robust laptop where to run w10. The less weight the better, even if it sacrifices some performance.
> - which audio interfaces are used nowadays, compared with the multiface? E.g. with at least 8 analog outlets (I don't need that many inlets), and also a digital outlet. Also the less weight and size the better - a half-case size such as the multiface is quite convenient.
> - the computer will be used for day-to-day activities: office, notation (sibelius/finale), and Pd audio programming. No games or too taxing environments, so some features such as a high-power graphics card or the latest ssd disk should be necessary.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Joao

--------
Dan Wilcox