[PD] how does env~ work?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:45:09 CET 2017

> In the object's new method, the object allocates a buffer ("buf") and
> writes the Hanning function with RMS compensation (the two nested
> divisions by npoints) into it.

ok, I get "buf" is a hann window with very small values (which depend on
npoints, the greater, the smaller) - so by dividing it by the number of
points, it's already doing the 'mean' value... that's what you mean by "RMS
compensated"?

I don't get what 'hp' is (x->x_buf + count)

all values (which depend on npoints, the greater, the smaller).

then I get that the square sum is normalized by being multiplied to 'hp'...

So, Basically, if I want to remove the 'hann normalization', I just take
'hp' out and divide it by npoints.

I tried it, and what I get is a more deviated value.

and as I see it, it's just applying a hanning envelope into the input and
NOTHING more, right?

It is not really compensating in any way, either with overlaping, or
multiplying the result for normalizing it, huh?

This was my original question, if it was compensated somehow, but it seems
not.

cheers