[PD] Laptop + interface suggestion

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:20:05 CET 2017

There's been mentions of a few laptop models suitable for Pd use, but
there hasn't been any discussion about good CPU models. I wonder what
makes a good CPU for Pd-like operations. What I observe is that my over
8 years old Lenovo T61p with a Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 outperforms the
much more recent Lenovo X1 with a Intel Core i5-3427U that I use at
work. By outperforming, I mean that I can load more instruments and
effects in netpd on my older box before the pd process hits 90% of CPU
core usage and I get glitches. One might object the X1 is an ultrabook
and meant to have long lasting battery rather than a lot of CPU power.
However, when you compare benchmarks on http://www.cpubenchmark.net ,
the Core 2 Duo has a single-threaded rating of 939 and the Core i5 a
rating of 1419. So it seems we need again another metric for Pd.

My gut feeling is that Pd hasn't profited at all from CPU development
for a few years already and I wouldn't know what to buy once my good
old T61p dies.

What would a benchmarking patch look like that could be used to give
CPUs a rating that would reflect their suitability for Pd?

Roman