[PD] oops (did a bad thing in puredata.info)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 28 10:02:44 CEST 2017

On 2017-03-28 02:22, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Me too, I'm all up for keeping the history, but this would make sense if we
> were to keep using that page as a release source. As it is, there's a
> conflict, either we have the cake or we eat it.

i don't see your point.

the current way of showing the "last" release and making all available
via downloads/<projects>/ seems to work for all¹ projects but cyclone.
since i don't see anything special about cyclone, there must be a
misunderstanding of how to use that page.

for instance, take the "pure-data" [1] project: it has all the old and
obsolete releases (just click on "releases"), and still the casual user
will be presented with the most up-to-date release on the front-page.
ok, you might say that Pd does traditional releases (rather than just
tag something on gitlab).

another example is the "purr-data" [2] project, which uses github as a
distribution mechanism; albert just created a dummy release that will
show upfront and which points to github).

you can also mix and match the two. e.g. in Gem (known for it's frequent
releases) [3], there's traditional releases coexisting with mere
references to an externally hosted repository.

> If having that particular version of cyclone available is the
> concern, let's put it up in deken, I can work on that.

btw, you might not be aware of that, but deken (the plugin) works nicely
with https://puredata.info/downloads/.
as long as the files uploaded for a release match the deken naming
convention, they will show up in the search results (e.g. zexy does this).
unfortunately the deken-cmdline utility cannot be used (yet(?)) to
upload the release files to https://puredata.info/downloads/, sou you
have to do that manually.

gmsdr
IOhannes

¹ i'm sure that more projects are not entirely happy; but of the ~160
software projects available, i've heard very few complaints. i don't
think i am *that* intimidating.

[1] https://puredata.info/downloads/pure-data/
[2] https://puredata.info/downloads/purr-data/
[3] https://puredata.info/downloads/gem/