[PD] New deken feature, create system user folder (was how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 06:20:10 CEST 2017

> On 03/18/2017 11:07 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> > * shows you where it currently is (after having created the default
> ~/Documents/Processing folder on first run if it doesn’t exist)
> > * allows you to change the path
> >
> > My point was it would be a good idea if Pd also let’s you do the same
> regarding deken’s install path.
>
> which of these things does deken *not* do right now?

So, Dan says Processing creates the default ~/Documents/Processing folder
on first run if it doesn’t exist.

I thought we were doing the same with the new deken, but as I said in the
first message on this thread: "*I thought the design was to suggest to
write into the ~/Library/Pd folder, and then create it. This is not what's
happening! It only suggests it if it didn't find any folder it can use. In
the end, there is no difference for me*"

I had no difference, because deken offered to write in the application
specific folder, and since it remembers that folder, it will never to
suggest the ~/Library/Pd or create it...

Anyway, my suggestion was that Pd (or deken, whatever) could create the
system standard folders, as softwares usually do. I get that back in the
day, people had issues with pd creating a folder in linux home, but that
seems to have been taken care of, and changed. I still don't get if there's
a resistance in automatically creating these folders currently.

A parallel discussion in this thread is that the system folders change in
MacOS, since ~/Library/Pd is an unusual and inconvenient place for that (an
example is processing using ~/Documents instead)

cheers