[PD] New deken feature, create system user folder

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 19:13:51 CEST 2017

yeah this might be apple "conceptual" method but it seems in practice
applications (lately?) are preferring to use ~/Documents as the catchall
for libs,user created docs, examples, etc.

so processing, for example, in ~/Documents has folders:

examples
libraries
modes
templates
tools

similar for arduino although default install online has
~/Documents/Arduino/libraries

now that I am looking I even have an "Adobe" folder here where it looks
like is stored all presets, user preferences, logs etc. AND in they
un-typically install plugins/libs in /Applcations/Adobe */Plugins

there are prob many other examples of softwares throwing lib folders all
over OSX

processing/arduino also make folders in ~/Libraries but they seem to be
only preferences...

cheers

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
wrote:

> On 2017-04-06 06:20, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > A parallel discussion in this thread is that the system folders change in
> > MacOS, since ~/Library/Pd is an unusual and inconvenient place for that
> (an
> > example is processing using ~/Documents instead)
>
> i think ~/Documents is for user-created documents, whereas ~/Libraries
> is for storing resources related to an application, such as plugins and
> libraries [1].
> afaict, a Pd-library (e.g. downloaded via deken) very much belongs into
> the category of "plugins and libraries", rather than "user-created
> documents".
> so according to Apple's guidelines, ~/Library/Pd seems to be the correct
> place to install Pd-libraries into.
>
> iiuic, ~/Documents/Pd would be used for storing the patches you are
> currently working on. this probably should be the default working
> directory on OSX (i unfondly remember the days when it used to be '/')
>
> i think the processing analogy also only takes the being-worked-on
> documents into account, rather than reusable libraries.
>
> (as i sidenote, this makes it out of the scope for deken (so nothing
> that *i* would implement ;-)))
>
> fgmsdrt
> IOhannes
>

> [1]
> https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/
> FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/MacOSXDirectories/
> MacOSXDirectories.html

m.e.grimm, m.f.a, ed.m.
syracuse u., tc3
megrimm.net