[PD] Deken install path & permissions on Debian

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:08:49 CEST 2017

Hi Roman,

Yeah, I'd spotted the
~/.local/lib/pd/extra
as being canonical from an earlier thread but as 1. I didn't already have
that folder 2. historically (dangerous I know) the non-hidden path had
always been 'the place' for externals, so I just blithely carried on
regardless - ouch(blush).

All below meant with the utmost respect for the work currently being done...

Doesn't this just cause more issues? While I can conceptualise the
reasoning for differing usr/lib/puredata (vanilla install) and usr/lib/pd
folders - it is another added layer of confusion for newbs (not meant as a
pejorative).
Obfuscating externals in hidden folders seems unnecessary (and yes, I'm
aware I brought 'canonical' into it /.worms/can of/argh).

I'm not familiar enough with other linux flavours to know this but
certainly on debian I have no other ~/.folders on my system, even though
the non-hidden path already exists via the apt install (and there's a ton
of other programs' 'stuff' in /usr/lib/).
So for me I'd vote for consistency, not one folder with externals via apt
and another via deken (as well as the vanilla 'extra') - it's too confusing.

Of course I'm not necessarily saying that there should only be a 'one
approach fits all' for all linux flavours (that's not how we roll) but then
again it might save lots of people lots of headaches if it was simple,
doable and clear across the board (I'm not including Win and Mac here
obviously - they've got their own issues). Well, actually having reread
that line _-_ ok, I guess that is what I'm saying then - "one method to
rule them all".
Certainly for writing documentation this would make things so much easier.

Brilliant that deken can sort all this very soon but for those of us stuck
in an eternal 'now' we could do with a solution, or at least a consistent
conceptual approach:)

Andy - mooooooove along please (and yes, I've just added it to my .bashrc:D

Regards,

Julian