[PD] should I use pddp/link in help patches?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 16:04:07 CEST 2017

 <!--#yiv4778588404 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}-->> The [link] object is great for linking between help files, but I don't know how many people use it now that Extended has gone. By way of a survey, how many people have this external installed already? Seems like it will just be a nuisance if people have to download it just to read a help patch, but on the other hand it's a shame to give up on it since it's such a useful tool.
Is it really named "link"? That name clashes with pmpd/link

In Purr Data/Pd-l2ork (and Pd-extended) there are these:pddp/pddplink: link to a pd patch or external text/html filepddp/helplink: link to the help patch for a Pd object
helplink lets you cross-reference other objects
without having to load their libraries or instantiate them.

For example: imagine that the [bar] help patch author has a
"related objects" subpatch with another author's object
[foo] in it. Now, imagine the author of [foo] changes the
implementation of [foo] so that it allocates hundreds of
megabytes when [foo] gets created.
If you use [helplink], then only users who are interested
in [foo] will experience crashes. If not, any user who opens
a help patch with a "related object" [foo] may experience a
crash. The first group is almost always smaller than the
second group, and that's why helplink was created.

-Jonathan
p.s.-- this (now fixed) out-of-memory bug is a true story