[PD] HOA / spatialization approaches for a hemisphere

jmejia at anestheticaudio.com jmejia at anestheticaudio.com
Sat Jun 24 00:19:29 CEST 2017

Hi List,

I'm putting together a 32 channel HDLA and looking for spatialization
advice. The configuration will be two rings, one higher than the other,
and I've been thinking a bit smaller/closer to approximate a hemisphere.
But that's flexible - they could be parallel rings if it simplifies
things.

I have some (limited) experience using HoaLibrary + PD for 2D ambisonics
- so my initial thought was to try the 3d externals there - however I'm
not sure if it actually makes sense to build an abstraction setup for a
sphere of twice as many channels while limiting access to the upper
hemisphere only. I'm assuming there would be some problems with that
approach.

I found a few papers on mixed-order ambisonics - by Chris Travis and
also the AmbiX crew - but I'm not sure if there's away to implement that
stuff with HoaLibrary. I'm also open to using different software if
something else is recommended instead.

Thanks for any advice!

-Jesse