[PD] MIDI timing FIFO overflowed receiving sysex

mario buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 11:25:41 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to record a bunch of sysex received from and external machine
(sequencer/synthesizer).

I tried using both [midiin] and [sysexin], and I've always got the same
result: "MIDI timing FIFO overflowed" printed on the console, and a lot
of data missing (I'm sure about that, cause I know how big the stored
file should be, and also cause it's an external flash dump, so I should
be able to send back this sysex to the unit, but when I do this the unit
gets stuck).

I know for sure that the unit is sending sysex at a really fast rate, as
fast as it can (at the moment I don't remember how fast exactly, but I
can double check).

is there a way to setup a kind of buffer? something that allows you to
accumulate this data before they pass through [midiin] or [sysex].

I'd like to give some context (and believe me, I don't really like this
kind of comparisons, at all!).

as it's something I'm doing for work reasons, I had to try using MaxMSP
and I ended up with something that works. the only thing I had to do is
changing the parameter related to the "scheduler time interval". so,
what happens there is the following: Unit sends these messages as fast
as it can, MaxMSP receives and accumulates all the messages, and pass
them to the patch one after another at a slower rate then the Unit's one.

do we have something similar on Pd?

cheers,

Mario