[PD] Building Pd for MacOS (was MIDI timing FIFO overflowed receiving sysex)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 21:40:33 CEST 2017

I will write this up in the readme, but here’s an overview. Its basically exactly the same thing you do in Linux except for building the app bundle.

1. You don’t need Xcode, only the command line tools which can be installed by running the following in Terminal:

    xcode-select —install

2. Build Pd using autotools like in Linux:

    cd pure-data
    ./autogen.sh <— you only need to run this if the configure script is not in the distribution (aka cloned from Github)
    ./configure
    make

3. If you want a mac app:

    make app

4. If you want to mess with different versions of Tk, look at the osc-app.sh & tcltk-wish.sh scripts in the “mac” folder.

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 9:32 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Dan and all... I remember I tried building Pd a while ago on the Mac and it got all ruined, and I remember I needed to wait until a new "autotools" or something was taken.
>
> I got XCode and everything, what else do I need to compile Pd? What instructions should I follow?
>
> I'd like to test the newest things added to current development
>
> cheers

> Note: On recent versions of macOS (10.7+), you do NOT need to install Xcode to build Pd. You only need to compiler chain & it’s associated tools which can be installed separately and easily by running the following in Terminal:
>
> xcode-select --install
>
> One of these days I will overhaul the install info :)
>
>> On Jun 25, 2017, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> From: Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu <mailto:msp at ucsd.edu>>
>> Subject: Re: [PD] MIDI timing FIFO overflowed receiving sysex
>> Date: June 25, 2017 at 1:37:21 AM GMT+2
>> To: mario buoninfante <mario.buoninfante at gmail.com <mailto:mario.buoninfante at gmail.com>>
>> Cc: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
>>

>> If you don't mind recompiling Pd, you can control the MIDI queue size
>> by editing this line in s_midi.c:
>>
>> #define MIDIQSIZE 1024
>>
>> I think it has to be a power of 2.  You could make it 0x100000, for instance
>> (a million-ish).
>>
>> To easily recompile Pd on a Mac, install the developer package (compiler
>> chain which I think is now called Xcode), open a shell, Cd to
>> Pd-x.app/Contents/Resources/src, edit s_midi.c, and type "make".
>>
>> cheers
>> Miller
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox