[PD] Building Pd for MacOS (was MIDI timing FIFO overflowed receiving sysex)

Paul Rankin hello at paulwrankin.com
Tue Jun 27 07:05:28 CEST 2017

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, at 02:46 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> > I’m not sure. Even if you don’t, on newer versions of macOS, running “git”
> > or “make” or whatever will automatically launch the install window for the
> > command line tools.
> >

> good, so I have that, as I suspected. Anyway, I tried " xcode-select
> --install", and it just confirmed with "*error: command line tools are
> already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates*".
>
> Anyway, moving on
>
> 2. Build Pd using autotools like in Linux:
> >
> >     cd pure-data
> >

> I'm there
>

> >     ./autogen.sh <— you only need to run this if the configure script is
> > not in the distribution (aka cloned from Github)
> >

> so, I cloned from github, which means I need to do this, right? So, I do
> it, and this is what I get:
>  "*./autogen.sh: line 21: autoreconf: command not found*"
>
> and I'm stuck already :/

Do you have Homebrew installed? This will make your life easier.

$ brew install autoconf

Building Pd on a Mac is a bit more difficult than previous replies have suggested. I can't recall, but you may need to also install:

$ brew install automake
$ brew install libtool

You will need to install Tcl. The mac/osx-app.sh says it will do this for you but it won't. Go here and download 8.6.6.X
https://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads

But then the problem is that the mac/osx-app.sh script hardcodes the wrong path... you'll need to change the following:

-        cp -R $verbose /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/$SYS_TK/Resources/Wish.app .
+        cp -R $verbose /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/$SYS_TK/Resources/Wish.app .

(Basically just remove "/System" because your system Tk is now the one you just installed.)

This will allow you to ./osx-app.sh -s 0.47-1 which will create Pd-0.47-1.app and then you can safely delete the "-0.47-1". (I don't know why anyone thought adding this was mandatory...)

--
www.paulwrankin.com