[PD] Building Pd for MacOS (was MIDI timing FIFO overflowed receiving sysex)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 11:56:52 CEST 2017

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Paul Rankin <hello at paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah sorry, it has been a little while since I tried these options and forgot how it worked internally. However the upshot was that none of these methods worked for me, hence ActiveTcl. I really wanted the tarball method to work, but it would just create an app package that crashed on launch. The logs suggested the framework wasn't present. After a bunch of trial and error, installing ActiveTcl was the only thing I could make work.

In the future, it would be helpful for us to know if the included scripts are not working so we can check & fix them :)

My entire goal of the autotools update was to make building Pd easier so user testing is important.

> Ah yes, sorry I stand corrected. The above hack came from a PR I was going to submit about the script looking for the framework in /Library first, then falling back on /System, so the user can just type
>
> $ ./osx-app.sh -s 8.6 VERSION
>
> instead of
>
> $ ./osx-app.sh -w /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/Wish.app VERSION
>
> So, no hacking necessary, but I found the hacking easier than remembering where Wish was.

I can add this behavior. I built the script with only the system installed Tcl/Tk to check. Good to know the location of the custom ActiveState install.

> I agree the naming convention is useful. I don't think the build should fail without it though.

I was a bit lazy there as there isn't an easy way to grab the version string without parsing the first line in configure.ac. Your suggestion of just leaving it off without the version argument is even easier. I believe I *did* add the version string info already in a previous commit.

> Appreciate your work on Pd/GEM :)

Thanks

--------
Dan Wilcox