[PD] HOA / spatialization approaches for a hemisphere

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Thu Jun 29 19:00:51 CEST 2017

Hello,

Theoretically, with Ambisonics any configuration of loudspeaker outside a
listening spot, with speaker in distance which Produce a kind of plane
wavefield  is suitable for Ambisonics.  The better the speaker sound, the
better the whole system, but it is robust for individual speaker differences
as long you calibrate it and has a way better energy distribution than vbap
for small speaker. Of course, if speaker missing on some side there can be no
sound from there, but placing virtual speaker for decoder makes smoother
transistions to this direction and so on, best follow the advices in
Ambisonics Decoder Toolbox [ADT] by Aaron J. Heller [1]  to calculate a
decoder.

Anyhow we are on the way for a Pd Ambisonics library for "Imperfect Ambisonics
Systems". Which also means in rooms with "bad acoustics" or any other odd
places, mixed speaker setup and so on. You are invited to join to extend this
simple abstraction lib.

 https://git.iem.at/pd/acre-amb

By the way it supports multichannel patching with names as buses and so on, to
reduce Pd-cabling. (Note it is in development and should be stable end of
summer).

Next week we want to finalize the new Ambisonics domeplayer [2] for AAAS
(affordable autonomous Ambisonics system) for the workshop in September (and
publish it on git).

[1]  https://bitbucket.org/ambidecodertoolbox/adt.git )
[2] https://iaem.at/kurse/projekte/aaas2/iemkit_6ch.jpg

rfc
   winfried

--
---
Ritsch, Winfried, Ao.Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing.
E-Mail 	ritsch at iem.at
Homepage 	http://iem.at/~ritsch
Mobil 	++436642439369
---