[PD] Filterview, filterplot, filtergraph

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 06:52:32 CEST 2017

> Alex - any cyclone stuff in the works that might be like filtergraph in
> max?

No, but I guess we could "steal" from this object and include it in cyclone
as a starting point for a proper clone of max's filtergraph~

Now, when I say "we", I'm not a part of it, so count me out actually :) -
First cause it's out of my skills, but you know I'm not the only one
working with cyclone; there are two other guys (Derek and Matt) who do the
actual hardcore programming, and there is room for anybody else to join in
and give us a hand coding ANY new object considered important.

Secondly, even if I could do it, I'd also be out cause personally I don't
really care for this GUI (I think there are others more important and
missing in Pd, like matrixctrl). But anyone is welcome to help doing it,
this is what I'm saying ;) - though I wish that any GUI new development in
cyclone would be applied to other objects I consider having a bigger
priority.

Now, as long as we're at it, the new cyclone has new objects that I
included, like [cyclone/filtercoeff~] and [cyclone/biquad~]. So
[filtergraph~] is the only thing missing... Again, I don't really care much
for that, I'm happy to set the cutoff frequency and Q with a number box
only, I don't need a graph to see what is coming out, I already know what a
bandpass is and what the Q does to it, I need my ears more than my eyes and
I wonder if anyone misses seeing that during a performance - seems like it
is only useful for didactic reasons, or if you're testing some formulas and
biquad coefficients of your own.

Well, now that I'm at it, I'd also like to say how I think the
[filtercoeff~] + [biquad~] design seems more complicated than it should, if
you're going for user friendliness. It's cool you can have more than one
filter with the same object and switch around, but most the time you'll be
using just one of them anyway... this is why I'm designing new filters on a
new library of mine, and now I have all these filters as dedicated modules,
such as [bandpass~], [lowpass~], [highpass~], [lowshelf~], etc... all
taking audio inlets to control the parameters.

I think this is in fact much more friendly, that is why I'm caring to
design them. And I find this more important than bothering on the supposed
friendliness of a filtergraph~ object. Yet once again, you can't see cute
graphs or play with them, but being a musician who's been playing with
filters live for a long time, I never felt that need...

So, I haven't mentioned this new work of mine on this list because it is
still at an early alpha stage, and I might change some stuff before the
final version (I'm aiming for a release around september). But anyway, here
it goes... https://github.com/porres/pd-else

cheers