[PD] Filterview, filterplot, filtergraph

jmejia at anestheticaudio.com jmejia at anestheticaudio.com
Tue Jul 11 18:47:34 CEST 2017

Ah yes - and of course I should've included Derek and Matt in my
comment!

I find [filtergraph~] extremely useful pedagogically. I teach max and pd
in that I'm also teaching basic filter theory. Hearing a bandpass filter
for example without seeing or knowing its response curve is a hard way
to intuitively understand how that filter works and what it's doing, so
visuals go a long way when you're encountering this stuff for the first
time.

When I teach using Pure Data - my current go-to are the mmb abstractions
I mentioned earlier - which are pretty nice, and really worth a look if
you haven't checked them out.

Combining an intuitive gui with [biquad~] (as opposed to static filters
like [lowpass~], [bandpass~], etc) - is actually really exciting -
because you can go from learning about filters at a really high level -
to digging into biquad~ and *really* learning filter theory if you want
to go there - all sort of within the same patch. That said - dedicated
objects like the ones you're working on will be a great asset to have
around, and yes probably more useful for quick and general use.

And actually the mmb collection also includes a biquad abstraction that
uses the low level pole/zero objects - which is pretty cool.

That's exciting that [cyclone/biquad~] and [cyclone/filtercoeff~]
exists!

-Jesse