[PD] problem with menu : WAS Re: testing some 0.48.0 GUI updates

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:41:20 CEST 2017

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 10:10 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> rom: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] problem with menu : WAS Re: testing some 0.48.0 GUI updates
> Date: July 19, 2017 at 9:54:06 AM GMT+2
> To: cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net <mailto:ch at chnry.net>>, pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
>

> On 2017-07-19 09:39, cyrille henry wrote:
>>
>> ubuntu 16.04
>> i've got tcl8.4, 8.5 and 8.6 on my computer, how can I know the one pd use?

Change the log level to 4, there is a debug print which says which version of TK the GUI is using.

>> configure:
>>
> [...]
>>    wish(tcl/tk):         wish
>
> it uses the 'wish' executable whatever and wherever that is.
> most likely it is tk8.6, which has been the default on Debian (and
> probably most other linux distros) for ages.

On most platforms, Pd uses the "wish" command by default and that is usually symlinked to whatever version of Tk is considered "current" on your system.

> ~~~
> $ ls -l $(which sish)
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov 20  2015 /usr/bin/wish -> wish8.6
> $
> ~~~
>
> i think Dan's recent comments suggesting "stay with tcl/tk 8.4" are for
> *OSX only* and of no concern for linux users.

Yes, changing the default from "wish" to "wish8.4" is suggested only for macOS as the default uses the buggy version of Tk 8.5 which has issues on mac. Tk 8.5 and 8.6 are fine on Windows & Linux. They are also mostly fine on macOS but required either the user installing a new version to their system manually or bundling inside the Pd.app. There is still the not rendering issue on retina screens to fix which is a second reason why the suggested default is for mac is to stay with 8.4.

All of this is documented in mac/README.txt

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>