[PD] One click too many on macOS

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 16:40:28 CEST 2017

On Mit, 2017-07-19 at 18:30 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Ah ok, I misunderstood. What I was referring to was *very* buggy
> behavior such as creating a bang with the key binding creates two
> bangs...
>
> What you're talking about is the fact that macOS does not have "focus
> follows mouse", which it sounds like you are used to.

No, at least: I'm not used to windows coming into focus just by
hovering them, if that's what you mean.

>  Yes, clicking to focus the window is normal. You can hover over an
> unfocused window and scroll it but not click in without the initial
> focus click.

Hm.. I don't have a Mac nearby right now, but last time I checked this:
When Finder is not in focus, I can click on folder and the Finder
window comes to the front AND the folder is selected. The same with any
button in qjackctl. I didn't test any other apps. However, with Pd
triggering a [bng] of a window that is not in focus requires two
clicks. As far as I can tell, that behavior is specific to Pd and seems
not to be a Mac paradigm (what I initially thought it would be).

> I'd suggest using CMD+` to cycle the currently active app's windows.

Thanks, that is a handy shortcut.

Roman