[PD] Macbook Air Errors with 0.48 Test 1

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Fri Jul 21 16:59:51 CEST 2017

On 2017년 07월 21일 16:41, me.grimm wrote:
>  >> Is the firewall on ...?
> firewall is off
>
>  >> ping localhost
> ping: cannot resolve localhost: Unknown host
>
>  >> with -nogui in Terminal ala
> n$ /Volumes/U/Pd-0.48-0test3.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd -nogui -verbose
> input channels = 2, output channels = 2
> Pd-0.48.0 ("test3") compiled 22:16:32 Jul 19 2017
> error: Ignoring invalid font-metrics from GUI!
> Pt_Start() called
>
>  >> is that the classic messed up /private/etc/hosts file?
> yeah this is what I found there:
> https://github.com/lennylxx/ipv6-hosts
>
>  >> Desperately installing the Adobe crack on OS X and in the process of
> hindering it of calling home deleting the localhost line?
> not sure what this means... so delete this file?
>
> so, the /private/etc/hosts file "Hosts file which is used for improving
> IPv6 access speed to Google, YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia, etc. in
> Mainland China."
>
> ... and yes the student is from china so that explains this at least.
>
> so what do I do now? :)
>
> this gets us into privacy laws, china gov laws?, no idea, etc. which
> turns this to a much deeper discussion since I assume we are here to
> support as many students as possible but without fully understanding
> what a systems level change could potentially do once students return to
> native country I really have no experience or clue here....
>
> max, you have some experience here no?
>
> well anyway, might there be a work around for now? or could pd issue a
> warning like "is your firewall on?" OR "sup with your /private/etc/hosts
> file?

according to the web, this is the default hosts file on OS X:

-------begin------
##
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

there is even a warning in there that those users seem to ignore.
I'm pretty sure those four lines need to be in there, you can add all
the stuff from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lennylxx/ipv6-hosts/master/hosts
if you want to "optimize" things for use in China, but keep those 4 lines!!