[PD] PD 0.48-0 test3 segfaults with Jack and rt on Linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 21 21:21:40 CEST 2017

On 07/21/2017 08:19 PM, Max wrote:
> On 2017년 07월 21일 18:47, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> In this case it might have been better to build jack itself from
>> source and then tell pd to link it instead. I believe there is a
>> configure option for this, IOhannes will know for sure.
>
> I'm willing to try this :)

there's basically two options.
none of them includes any special flags to compile Pd.

first i'd probably restore the old jack configuration, so you can have
audio again.

#1 rebuild the (proper, working) libjack packages with debugging symbols.
there's a description how to build your package with debug symbols if
you cannot obtain them otherwise on [1] (in retrospect, this would have
been the better choice).
this will create a number of packages, you only need to install the
newly created libjack-jackd2-0 (which ought to have the exact same
version as the original package).

#2 alternatively, you could just rebuild jack2 and do a `sudo make
install` (which will (well "should"; i haven't manually checked) install
to /usr/local/). then run `sudo ldconfig`, and any newly started
application will start using libjack.so from /usr/local/lib/.
this is more brittle then #1, as it potentially uses a different libjack
version - potentially breaking your system (again).
in theory you could also *not* `make install`, and then start Pd with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to force using the non-installed libjack.so
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/src/jack/wherever/libjack.so/is/ gdb ./pd
that's probably even more error-prone, because you might end up using a
jackd server with a non-matching pd/libjack

another interesting test would be to switch your system to jackd1 (as
provided by kxstudio), and see whether that works. (you shouldn't need
to uninstall any packages, apart from some "-dev" packages which don't
change the runtime characteristics of your system).

gfas
IOhannes

[1]
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Rebuilding_the_package_you.2BIBk-re_debugging