[PD] PD 0.48-0 test3 segfaults with Jack and rt on Linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 21 22:14:53 CEST 2017

On 07/21/2017 09:33 PM, Max wrote:
> OK, still allow me to vent my frustration for a moment: For OS X and
> Windows you get precompiled binaries, while Linux users are expected to
> be almost fully qualified developers just for running an application.

while i understand your frustration about having a broken system, i
think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

your trouble is not, because you "just want to run the application".
you managed to compile the application fine, without having to be a
fully qualified developer.

the problem we are facing, however, is that you are experiencing a crash
(which nobody else so far has been able to reproduce yet), and we want
to debug that crash.
debugging is more related to "fully qualified programming" than to "just
running an application".
all the serious trouble you've seen so far, is because we want to debug
the problem; and your machine is so far the only one where the problem
shows itself; that's why we depend on you.

if your system was an OSX machine (say, a Macbook Air) then you had two
possibilities: either rely on "just running the application" and live
with your problem, or to "be almost a fully qualified developer" and
help finding the cause of the problem.
the very same holds true for w32.

to quote dan:
> This have never been an issue with OS X in the past so I *do not*
> think there is suddenly a major problem based on feedback from running
> Pd on *one machine*.

does this make you feel any better? (the problem *I* am facing right
now, is that my support for digging this problem will have to end
tonight, since more pressing things are on my agenda; which I regret
very much for your sake, but about which I cannot do much...).

gfmrdsa
IOhannes