[PD] 048 font metrics (was: pd 0.48-0test1 released)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:42:49 CEST 2017

> On Jul 22, 2017, at 7:46 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:

> pdx metrics are not yet hardcoded, there must be a good argument for that to became meaningful.
>
> what do you mean?
>
> Support it by just testing and giving opinions. But modify that tcl please.
>
> My opinion is that things should look the same, out of the box, on vanilla, pd extended, and purr data. In the verge of bringing cyclone to purr data, I hope the same documentation works in both, cause doing two of them would be insane.
>
> Now, is there any need for further testing?

Yes.

> Hasn't this been tested already?

Only you and Lucas have tested it. Sending emails back and forth to each other agreeing on a change doesn't;t magically make it happen.

I didn't add the metrics changes to the PR because the PR is about bringing the font in first (in my mind). The metrics can be in a different branch. If I put all of them together, it makes it much harder to be able to decide "we want the font changes, but not the metrics changes yet". As I've mentioned before, many times now, I personally do not have all the knowledge to know if the tweak to the tcl from extended, in fact, is only thing that's needed.

That's not to say the extended stuff CANT be brought in, just that, in software that lots of people rely on, it pays to be conservative in making changes like this. It may work for *your* help patches but may break tons of *other* patches for other people. I dunno, which is why I am cautious. We need feedback from others and the "powers that be."

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>