[PD] Standard Paths & Canonical practice for managing/installing externals

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 03:13:27 CEST 2017

So, I got a tutorial on installing externals that says *standard paths** is
where to put them - check it here
<https://sites.google.com/site/porres/Using%20Pd%20Externals.pdf> on page
6 (got it from Pd's FAQ
<https://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files>,
btw). My view is reinforced by [declare]'s object design, which loads
externals/libs from there with the *-stdpath* & *-stdlib* flags. Who
agrees/disagrees? and if *standard paths** are not good for externals, what
they good for?

My concern is to understand *current* Pd's state in order to revise my
tutorial regarding canonical practices for managing/installing
externals. *Let's
please keep this focus and not break the discussion, such as what would be
desirable to happen for Pd in the future, we could have separate threads
for that.*

Thanks

* *Standard paths* defined as 3 standard search paths for Pd: *A) *Application
Specific; *B)* User specific; *C)* Global (where "A" is the "extra" folder,
"B" & "C" are defined for each OS). "A" is only seen by the Pd application
it's in. "B" is seen by all Pds for a user in a machine. And "C" is seen by
All Pds / all users in a machine.