[PD] New users and external path struggles

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 20:36:49 CEST 2017

Thanks for your input. This is a recurring topic that me and others have
pointed. I've made simple suggestions that'd take care of most of this,
including one of yours, but found resistance.

Now, some of the feedback, unexpectedly, led me to suspect much of the
resistance comes from not actually getting the issue in the first place!
Thus, an underlying issue may be that there's not a clear picture and
consensus about Pd's fundamental structure. So perhaps that needs to be
sorted out before aiming for improvements.

To be more specific, you mention issues related to Pd's current "Standard
Paths", given that it is clear to you that this is the best practice for
externals. Surprisingly, that is not a consensus between developers.

Hence, I when posting my documentation in the other thread (linked here
<https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2017-07/119753.html>), I
opened it up for discussion to see if what I had there was in fact a
consensus or not. Namely, if "Standard Paths" were the canonical way of
installing externals or not. So far, 5 of us agree it is and share this
same view. Nonetheless, believe me, not everyone shares it. But I'm hopeful
we'll sort it out one way or another. It's to the interest of all.

> I understand that users can add a path like this manually - but that's an
> additional hurdle - and since deken is so tightly integrated, it doesn't
> seem like that should be necessary. It also causes confusion when you move
> paths across systems.

"User added search paths" are not the same as a "standard path", I agree.
Hopefully that's clear in my documentation. That's also something I suspect
is causing many confusion, which would be a notion that a "user added
search path" would be exactly the same as a "standard path", but it isn't.

cheers