[PD] New users and external path struggles

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 01:28:32 CEST 2017

> why is unhiding necessary in the first place?

So you can easily browse it, navigate there, manage it. Like you wanna
throw away an external library you found to hate or doesn't work, etc... I
can only see reasons to easily access your external folders, and none to
the opposite.

> I don't see why you need to change permissions or view settings.

I think not for %appdata%, but "extra" folder in windows needs to change
permissions. But then, I don't think extra is a good place for externals
for beginners. Say you throw Pd away and get the new version... now you
lost all your externals! Bad, huh?

Out of the Standard Paths, I suggest the default location is the "User
Specific Path". Deken does not take care of that yet, but there's been
discussions in how to improve it (which likely won't make to 0.48 around
the corner).

Your experiences might stem from Pd 0.47.1 where Deken did _not_ create
> any directory automatically.

This may be ambiguous, let's just be clear that this only happens now (with
Pd 0.48-test6) in a very specific case. Anyway, check out IOhannes' plans
for deken in the end of the discussion here
<https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/140> - revolutionary and
amazing/exciting stuff.

I'm a proponent of automatic search path directory creation

Me too!

What we have with Deken is not quite there yet. But a middle ground is
being set to get there, and create such folders at requests. I guess I'm
fine with that... But... again, I suspect much os the resistance to this
may come from not really grasping the whole concept and usage of "Standard
Paths". And I still cannot understand arguments I've heard against it.

I know at one point the issue was not that it was annoying that the folder
would be created, but that the desired folder should be another one.
Anyway, you were a part of that discussion, I'll link it here
<https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2016-06/115377.html> for
others to check it out.

cheers