[PD] New users and external path struggles

Derek Holzer macumbista at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 30 12:30:20 CEST 2017

Chiming in here as well. At least one factor instigating this current
thread was me asking in the Facebook group if there is a simple,
canonical way of installing GEM via deken.

Of note: every reply apart from Alexandre's told me I should install
Extended, or install Purr Data, or copy the lib binaries from those into
my course material, or use a live Linux distro, or use a preinstalled
RasPi, or do every other crazy/complicated thing *besides* use deken.
This is how the user community perceives the situation at this moment.

Disclaimer: I am aware that GEM does not run on 64 bit, and I could not
use Extended because I required the [metro] object from Pd  >= 0.45

I just did a one day workshop last weekend, and after giving the
participants pre-flight instructions on how to install GEM that worked
fine for me, 10 out of 12 could not create the GEM objects.

If it's only a 5 hour workshop and you spend more than an hour dealing
with each participant's individual system to install and config while
the others sit around and wait, what this tells me is that the deken
system might not be ready for prime time yet.

Alexandre's document is great, but new users will not read 14 pages to
install libs they have never used before. I miss Extended for this
ease-of-use terribly, and I wonder how after two decades of Pd these
issues still haven't been addressed completely in a systematic way which
allows people to simply install and go (as Extended did once upon a time).

I guess it's important to debate whether it's "correct" to allow Pd to
create directories etc etc, but the real crash test should still be
whether a classroom full of undergrad art students on mixed platforms,
and who don't just-so-happen-to-have a background in CompSci as well,
can get things up and running without stress.

Best Sunday wishes to all.
Derek

--
derek holzer