[PD] New users and external path struggles

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sun Jul 30 16:39:42 CEST 2017

With pd-0.47 this is a simple guide how to install GEM on Windows:

1) create C:/Users/You/AppData/Roaming/Pd (the user specific standard path on Windows) if it doesn't exist yet.
2) open Pd -> find externals -> search for 'gem' -> download
3) create a new patch and create [declare -stdlib gem -stdpath gem]. the gem library is now loaded and gem abstractions can be found in this patch all subpatches.

for OSX and Linux it's the same except for the user specific standard path (see Alex' HOWTO).

if you don't want to create a [declare] all the time, you can add "gem" to "Startup..." and the Gem folder path to "Path..."

once the folder is created, installing another library (which is not a single binary pack) is as simple as:

1) search and install from deken
2) [declare -stdpath libname] or add the folder path to "Path..." (the latter needs a restart of Pd).

How is that complicated? Or more complicated than:

> install Extended, or install Purr Data, or copy the lib binaries from those into
> my course material, or use a live Linux distro, or use a preinstalled
> RasPi, or do every other crazy/complicated thing

Of course there can be always improvements made to deken but I think we got to a point where it's already really easy and convenient to use. I think we just have to communicate things and Alex' HOWTO is a great starting point. 14 pages (with a huge font size) is not a lot and it contains essential information every Pd user has to know.

but for a workshop situation like yours you can just use a quick guide like above.

Christof