[PD] New users and external path struggles

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sun Jul 30 22:01:53 CEST 2017

Hi, thanks for explaining!

> "standard path" to refer to "stuff distributed with Pd"

that would make sense if 'extra' would be the only stdpath. but there's also C:/Users/Christof/AppData/Roaming/Pd etc. and these are usually used for application user data. also, we came to get used to [declare -stdpath folder] resp. [declare -stdlib folder] to load/access a library which is being used for several projects VS [declare -path folder] resp. [declare -path folder] for a library which is local to a specific project.

this way it always seemed natural that we put our libaries into stdpaths, so we can load them selectively with [declare].

also, in pd-0.48.0test6 only folders in the standard paths show up in the "Libraries" section in the help browser.

> the way forward is to somehow get the "path" mechanism to do what people are
> asking for.

I think so too! this implies that [declare] has to work with user paths. the question is how: including user paths in -stdpath? or introducing a new flag?

once this works, the user only has to create a folder somewhere in his system, ask deken to download there and load libraries with [declare]. "Startup..." already looks for libraries in the user paths, so that's fine already.

Christof