[PD] Revision of Standard Paths (was Re: New users and external path struggles)

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sun Jul 30 22:04:56 CEST 2017

> A) Integrate with Pd's Help Browser and B) Integrate somehow to [declare].
> Who's following me?

I've just written basically the same :-)

Gesendet: Sonntag, 30. Juli 2017 um 22:00 Uhr
Von: "Alexandre Torres Porres" <porres at gmail.com>
An: "Miller Puckette" <msp at ucsd.edu>
Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
Betreff: [PD] Revision of Standard Paths (was Re: New users and external path struggles)

2017-07-30 15:56 GMT-03:00 Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu[mailto:msp at ucsd.edu]>:I think the way forward is to somehow get the "path" mechanism to do what people are asking for.

Fair enough, and I see that would mean getting the mechanism to: A) Integrate with Pd's Help Browser; B) Integrate somehow to [declare] and C) Allow 3 levels of locality (1- Application-specific, 2- User-specific and 3- Global).

Out of these, I find "C)"  very complicated to deal with. And it also opens to the question: how to deal with the current "standard path" structure? Removing or replacing the current structure seems like a major overhaul.

So here's my analysis/revision.

I always meant "standard path" to refer to "stuff distributed with Pd"

That seems to be what the "extra" folder is, referred here as the "application-specific standard path". Let's keep it as it is then, we can just refer to it as the "standard path", and detach the other two scopes (namely user and global ones) from this concept.

It seems the "standard path" concept grew to encompass these two other scopes (user and global), which would actually correspond to your concept of what the "path" mechanism should be (a place to point to libraries). Let's then incorporate them into this revision of the path mechanism.

By the way, it's the common practice to have both of these scopes (user/global) clearly defined and hardcoded, to point libraries not part of the software distribution. Let's stop calling them "standard paths", and treat them as "default paths" for both user and global in the "path mechanism".

So, besides newly incorporated "defult paths", what did the "path mechanism" already have? A freely defined path for the user only. therefore, bringing them all together gets us with a default user and global path, that Pd sees out of the box, plus the ability to define other folders for the user scope.

So, what kind of overhaul am I proposing? Basically none, just a new way to look and reinterpret what we have.

And I think it'd be reasonably easy to expand the functionality of user defined paths to do what we are asking for, meaning: A) Integrate with Pd's Help Browser and B) Integrate somehow to [declare].

Who's following me?